This super fungi training will guide you step-by-step in how to grow an abundance of nutritious edible and medicinal mushrooms at home and provide you with a solid foundation for identifying fungi in the wild. During the in-person class, Chris Gilmour of Wild Muskoka Botanicals will be guided through two projects that you will be able to take home with you. Project one will be inoculating a log with Shiitake Mushrooms and project two will be inoculating a bag of straw with Oyster Mushrooms. This training also includes full access to the complete online “Mushroom Growers and Wild Fungi Identification Course” ($120 value). ** See details below. The techniques can be applied regardless of whether you live in an urban apartment or a rural homestead. You do not need a farm to grow a large amount of nutritious mushrooms and we will help you source the needed materials and make sure you are confident in what you are doing.
The Mushroom Grower’s workshop is for anyone who wants to:
- Improve their food security by learning to grow edible and medicinal mushrooms at home.
- Deepen their relationship with and understanding of the fungi world and its integral role in ecology.
- Learn the foundations of identifying mushrooms in the wild and better understand sustainable foraging.
- Learn the basics of growing mushrooms with the thought of growing on a larger scale (i.e. to sell commercially or for remediation projects).
Sunday May 22nd from 10am-4pm. $220 per person + HST. Registration includes an inoculated mushroom log, an inoculated oyster mushroom grow bag & lifetime access to the online course ($120 value).
BONUS: Online Access to Mushroom Growers and Wild Fungi Identification Course ($120 value) :
The online version gives you lifetime access to 10 modules (see below) with dozens of prerecorded instructional videos, quick guides and worksheets walking you step-by-step through multiple growing techniques. You will have access to an inspiring and supportive online community to help you and your mushrooms grow and the ability to ask questions.
COURSE GOALS – LEARNING MODULES
- Understand the lifecycle and needs of mycelium and fungi and their role in natural eco-systems.
- Learn how to set up a home growing space indoors or outside.
- Identify growing options when you have a limited area, such as an urban apartment or small yard.
- Learn to source, store and prepare your mushroom spawn and the medium(s) you will grow on.
- Learn to expand your spawn to grow year-round and become more self-sufficient in your growing operation.
- Introduction to several techniques for growing oyster mushrooms on coffee, straw, wood and other mediums.
- Learn how to grow shiitake mushrooms outdoors on logs.
- Learn how to harvest, cook and preserve your mushroom harvest.
- Master the basics of wild fungi identification and how to build your relationship with mushrooms in the wild.
- Receive an overview of wild foraging safety & sustainability.
Learn more here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCCJmMWrs2c